Database extension make choosable*

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:33 AM
hi,

please make a possibility to choose file with any extension, for example I've change extension of database file to fill more secure ;-)

best regards
Przemek
Coordinator
Jul 30, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, this is currently not possible due to platform limitations. Let me explain:

Every time WinKee wants to open a file, it needs to signal the operating system. The file chooser dialog is not actually part of WinKee - it is provided by the operating system. In order to pick a file in this fashion, WinKee must provide a list of file extensions that it supports. Windows Phone 8.1 also prohibits applications for specifying ".*" (=all extensions).

This way, we can only provide a set of known-in-advance, standard file extensions. We can supply custom file extensions, but there is little point in doing so, since every user can theoretically use his/her own file extension.

There might be a way for us to provide a way of specifying your own file extensions in the future, but it is entirely impossible to allow "all files" kind of selection. We will add this to the list of features to consider in the future releases.
Jul 30, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Thank you for answer and explanation why there is a problem with .. Maybe there is a possibility to create a setting and every user will be able to define his/her extension there. After it will be defined the chooser dialog could be read the extension from application configuration? Is this possible?
Coordinator
Jul 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM
That's exactly what I've been thinking.

There is one is one small issue with this approach, though - currently, the settings page is only available AFTER a database is decrypted. This way, the settings are kind of "password protected" - someone who grabs your phone will be unable to, for example, remove your master password.

Providing a setting would require us to move the settings page to the database picker page also, which would render the above useless. I think I have a potential solution for this dilemma, though. I'll need to think it through some more and then I'll update this topic with my proposal.

Keep an eye on this topic to see our proposal when we come up with it.
Jul 31, 2014 at 10:54 AM
ok, thanks for the answer. I will be waiting - impatient ;-)
Coordinator
Jul 31, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Ok, so I thought about this and this is what I have currently implemented:
Custom File Extensions

As stated in the document above, this should make it into the planned 1.2 release, but there is currently no time frame as to when it might be available for download. This will be the biggest WinKee update to date and it will require a lot of testing before it is released.

If you have any questions or ideas, don't hesitate to express them!
Aug 1, 2014 at 5:36 PM
hi,

I'm new in WP develop but I found this, maybe it can help you with this feature.

FileOpenPicker openPicker = new FileOpenPicker();
openPicker.ViewMode = PickerViewMode.List;
openPicker.SuggestedStartLocation = PickerLocationId.DocumentsLibrary;
openPicker.FileTypeFilter.Add("*");

And in appxmanifest -> tab Declarations -> if you add FileOpenPicker you can mark the checkbox "Supports any file types"
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Edited Aug 1, 2014 at 8:36 PM
That second thing with the manifest actually does something different than what you might expect:
The Declarations/FileOpenPicker capability would say that WinKee SERVES as a target for picking files. That would mean that when a different app uses a file picker to open a file, WinKee would show in the list, together with OneDrive and Phone options. This is exactly what OneDrive does currently to allow other apps to open files from it directly. And that is something different than what we want to achieve here.

BUT:
The first thing, adding a "*" filter works. I had no idea the file picker worked this way, because when I tried to put ".*" in there, the exception explicitly stated that "the file type must begin with a . and contain no wildcards". And of course, the documentation mentions nothing about the whole deal.

So specifying a "*" as a filter allows you to select any file at all. Now I a) feel stupid for not discovering this sooner and b) need to revert all the work I have done on the workaround for this. But in the end, this is a much, MUCH better solution.

Thank you very much for pointing out this behavior! This definitely merits a mention in the special "thanks" section of the About page :) Live and learn, huh?
Aug 1, 2014 at 10:58 PM
I'm happy that I could help ;-)